The Myers Cocktail – Vitamins by IV!
You may have heard about something called a “Myers Cocktail” or people getting their vitamins injected or by IV. Are you curious about this therapy and whether it may be something that could help you?
What is a Myers Cocktail?
- A Myers Cocktail is typically a combination of Vitamins C, B Complex, B5, B6, B12, Folic Acid, Calcium and Magnesium (blended with sterile water or saline). Specific amounts of these nutrients will depend upon the patient and the particular condition being treated.
- The nutrient combination is then infused directly into the circulatory system, generally over 15-25 minutes by gentle “push” or 40-60 minutes by “drip”.
History of the Myers Cocktail
- The Myers Cocktail is a very effective therapy that has been used by Naturopathic Physicians for over half a century. This therapy was initially developed by Dr John Myers and further refined by Dr Alan Gaby MD.
What are the benefits of IV nutrients as opposed to oral?
- Having the mixture added directly into the blood allows more thorough and rapid absorption of the nutrients. This is because by going directly into the blood, it bypasses the digestive system, where most nutrients are poorly absorbed and mostly eliminated. In fact for the majority of the population, over 50% of the vitamins and minerals taken by mouth are lost through urine and stool!
- Additionally, some side effects of high dose oral administration (for example loose stool from high doses of oral Vitamin C) are avoided.
Who can benefit from Myers Cocktails?
- Almost anyone will feel the benefit of this therapy, including athletes, individuals wanting to improve and maintain their overall health, those under acute or chronic stress, students, those with compromised immune status, etc.
- Relief can be obtained from numerous conditions after IV Nutrient administration, including (but not limited to):
- Fatigue and Low energy
- Seasonal Allergies, Asthma, Sinusitis
- Eczema, Acne and other skin conditions
- Hormonal imbalance
- Poor memory and concentration
- Stress, Anxiety and Depression
- Muscle spasm and pain, Muscle recovery and endurance
- Arthritis and Chronic Pain
- Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue syndrome
How often does one get a Myers Cocktail?
- Frequency of treatment will depend upon the individual patient as well as the condition being treated.
- For more acute conditions, in preparation for an event (marathon, sports competition), or in anticipation of high stress (weddings, travel, exams), Myers Cocktails may be used weekly over 3-5 weeks (or more). This will usually be tapered down as symptoms improvement is monitored.
- Myers Cocktails may also be used monthly for chronic conditions (migraines, allergies, etc), general health maintenance and to help support immune function.
Are there any side effects?
- Myers Cocktails are a very safe, proven and effective therapy with minimal risks. The most common side effect is occasional redness or irritation at the site of injection, and this resolves shortly after the treatment. Some patients may experience low blood pressure or light-headedness during or after injection, but these typically only last for 5 to 10 minutes. Having a mild taste of B vitamins in the back of the throat is not uncommon, but this diminishes shortly after treatment.
- During treatment, patients will typically have a general feeling of warmth and relaxation due to the magnesium (a muscle relaxant).
- Discussing with your Naturopathic Physician about any medical history and communicating any sensations you experience during treatment will allow for adjustments to be made to your particular treatment (amounts and/or frequency of infusion).
Talk to your Naturopathic Physician if have questions about Myers Cocktails or if you think that the treatment would be beneficial for you!